fundamental sentiment

I feel like each of us has some fundamental sentiment, and it is known by the art that speaks to us most completely.

I think I fell in love with Bruce Springsteen's Jungleland the very first time I heard it. It spoke to me at a fundamental level. I can't tell you how many times I have listened to it, alone in my car, the radio up loud. There is something about the defiance, the basic unfairness, and the ultimate tragic arc that I just mainline right into my soul. 

I think we all have some fundamental sentiment in our soul. My wife hears me playing stuff like this and she just doesn't get it - it doesn't speak to her at all. She has a different set of preferences and I'm not going to talk out of turn about hers, but let's just say that we don't agree on a lot of music. She has a different fundamental sentiment. I don't think these preferences have rank or ordinality - they are no different than liking blue or green - they are entirely nominal. But they are different and I think they lead to different tastes in art. 

So what does the fact that Jungleland speaks to me so deeply imply about my fundamental sentiment? I think I have a certain melancholic default, and a certain sense of inevitable suffering without understanding. Other people have a brighter default. I'd like a brighter default, I think. Though it's hard to know, since this is not a choice. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bailey's Irish Cream Brownies!

corn bread recipe

un-becoming