writing to know what you think

 


I am on the board of the Northern New England chapter of the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) and am currently the education coordinator for the chapter. I was asked to prepare some options for a possible event in June. I had a bunch of thoughts in my head and felt like I knew the direction I wanted to push the board to go in until I actually sat down and wrote out the options with expected costs and risks. In the process of writing everything down, I changed my mind. I realized I hadn't really thought through the option I thought I wanted to push for. Once I actually went through the act of writing it down and clarifying it, I realized there were two better options. We wound up choosing not to have the event after all, but it was a good process. 

The process of writing is a fabulous way of knowing discovering what you actually think. I often sit down with a vague idea about a topic that I want to write about, and it is only in the process of writing that I actually arrive at a full understanding of what I am thinking. As you try to clarify your thoughts, you discover connections you hadn't fully thought through, and disconnects that were not apparent until you tried to articulate the whole. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bailey's Irish Cream Brownies!

corn bread recipe

un-becoming