TED - How language shapes the way we think



My daughter K shared this TED Talk with me:

https://www.ted.com/talks/lera_boroditsky_how_language_shapes_the_way_we_think

I thought it was a clever presentation that highlights how language changes our ability to perceive. It made me think of my first experiences working in a hospital. I would go into meetings and people would be using all these words and ideas that I didn’t understand and I was lost. I knew they were speaking English, but I couldn’t follow half of what was going on. But it was more than just the words themselves, it was the way they communicated. There is a system of reasoning buried in the language that is unique to healthcare delivery. Our language evolves to deal with the problems we have to solve. This is a fun one - definitely worth 14 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bailey's Irish Cream Brownies!

corn bread recipe

un-becoming