my teaching philosophy - spinning up

 

I don't recall how I came across this link, but I LOVE this video. It's cool as a piece of speculative science, but if you read the comments, there are lots of smart sounding people who are saying this couldn't work as pictured. I'll be honest, that is way outside my area of knowledge. What I love so much about this video is it is the perfect metaphor for how I view teaching. 

As a teacher, I see my role as metaphorically spinning kids up so that they get a boost into their lives - and then they can fire off on their own, building on what I and my colleagues have been able to give them to launch. 

It's literally a metaphor I had in my head years before I saw this video. I get chills whenever I watch it. Which I am going to admit - I have watched it many times now. Whenever I need a little boost of my own, I flip over to it and get a hit of, "Yes! This is what I do!"

There is a follow-up video where they ostensibly actually launch something, but I see a lot of skepticism there, too. Again, not my area. I think the science part is cool, but for me, this is totally made up video is all about the metaphor and how I am repurposing it. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bailey's Irish Cream Brownies!

corn bread recipe

un-becoming